Monday, October 15, 2012

Trying Something New: Week Four: Cinnamon Rolls

Some cold, dreary days just beg for something sweet and doughy. Or, any day, really, if you're me, calls for something this delightful!

I often get a super strong hankering for doughy carbs, and as I had been thinking about these for a while, it was time.

I recently was given a bit of sourdough starter from a good friend. Audrey, the starter, is twenty years old! I had never really worked with a starter before (Friendship bread doesn't count!) and I had read that sourdough could be finicky.

So I was a smidge scared, but I wanted cinnamon rolls! And I wanted to make good, homemade ones, that weren't full of sugar and additives that make my tummy hurt. I want to have my cinnamon roll and eat it too!

So, I did some research and found a great recipe. I got my starter ready last night by feeding her, and then planned my day around the rising schedule of this dough. The blog I pulled the recipe from does a great job giving step by step instructions, so I won't over elaborate. I will say though, that while time consuming, these are super simple.

The ingredient list is short - butter, flour, milk, baking soda, vanilla. And there is very little sugar! Two tablespoons in the dough, and only a 1/3 cup brown sugar in the filling, and 1/4 cup powdered sugar in the icing. That's less than a cup for the whole batch! Even though you have to plan your day around them to some extent (they have to rise twice), you only spend ten-fifteen minutes on each step, and as they are spaced out, it doesn't take over your day, or your kitchen.

I did make a couple of changes. I used coconut milk and coconut oil (in place of butter) and used Vanilla Nut extract for the icing, instead of standard vanilla. I was supposed to cut 12 rolls, but made mine a little big and cut 10.

And just for the record these are amazing. And that's saying something - just ask Paul, I never, ever am completely satisfied with anything I make. But these are sooo good!

So, week four was a definite success! Now who wants one? I don't think it's safe to keep them all in my home....I will eat the whole pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment