Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week Three: Squash-scapades

It's autumn now, officially, and that means it is time to make my kitchen smell warm with cinnamon and brown sugar, and to find new ways to cook some of these root veggies that we'll be blessed with all winter!

Besides cutting up some of the yellow squash from our garden for stir fry, I have never really worked much with squash. They come in such fun sizes and interesting shapes, and their name is a cool sound effect that makes me want to scrunch up my lips and make a funny face whenever I say it.

So, I bought a two pound acorn squash at the grocery this week, and started some research on how best to prepare it. Other than soup, it seems that this veggie mimics pumpkin in texture and taste. I opted for a couple sweet ways to prepare it.

I need about a quarter of it to make these sweet squash rings last night, and I still have the seeds left to roast and the rest to make into Squash Honey Pies (stay tuned for more on those later!).

The rings were super easy to make.

Cut your squash in half, then in strips length wise. Take a knife and cut off any fleshy seeded parts. Dot with butter and season. I used cinnamon, all spice, and brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes on a greased baking sheet. Flip and butter/season other sides and back for 7 minutes longer.

They come out with the edges cripsy, and the squash meat soft and moist. They honestly taste like little pumpkin pie bites - warm and cinnamonny. Paul wasn't a huge fan, but I think I like them. And if I can eat a veggie that tastes like dessert...you'd better bet I'm going to do that!

I still have some left from dinner, and I'm hoping that frying them in a little butter for lunch will perk them back up.

Any new autumn favorites you've tried lately? I'm thinking next week....maybe cinnamon rolls....

No comments:

Post a Comment