Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Onions=Perfection


 

There is nothing better than the smell of onions sauteing after a long day at work. Nothing better.

That was bold, yes, but I said it.

I was itching to cook today. And I rediscovered a cook book I bought last year when Border's went out of sale: The Gypsy Kitchen, by Lisa Lamme. The tag line "Tranform Almost Nothing into Something Delicious with Not-So-Secret Ingredients" is too true. I was a little seasoning-wary when I bought this book. Wasn't sure what to mix with what in what quantity. And you can do SO much with SO little if you know what to mix together!

Enter Lisa Lamme! I would adore getting up to her restaurant out East one day (read: Bucket List). So when I got cooking itchy today, I pulled two of her recipes, and ahem, amended, them a little. I figure anyone who calls herself a Gypsy cook can't mind too much, right?

So fortified with a McDonald's apple pie (please don't confuse a love of cooking with one of baking - as different as teal and navy blue - same family, totally different hearts!), I set out to try these:

Sweet and Sour Pork Chops and Rosemary Applesauce.

Both were simple (brown your pork chops, saute apples and onions, cook pork chops through, and add the sweet and sour sauce - then I added rice; heat applesauce, sugar, and rosemary over low heat) and very flavorful. If you want the recipes, leave me a comment. I'd be happy to share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment